Camillo Procaccini
The Nativity of the Virgin. Early XVII century

Oil on brass
31,8×27,3 cm
To judge from the inscription on the reverse, this work was in Florence in 1883, in the 17th-centruy it had perhaps belonged to Thomas Blayds, acquired between 1880-98 in Italy by D.A.Khomyakov, he donated it to the Rumyantsev Museum (Moscow) in 1901
Ж-109
Byzantine Art. Italian Art of the 13th to 16th centuries View on the hall's virtual panorama

While in the Khomyakov collection and in the Rumyanstev Museum, this painting was thought to be a work by Pellegrino Tibaldi; it was finally attributed to Camillo Procaccini by V.E.Markova. The same composition has been used in a large-format copy in which four musician angels floating in the clouds have been added at the top (Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan).

About restoration
Go to the full description on "Italian painting in VIII-XX centuries" catalogue.
Show more
View on the hall's virtual panorama