This work forms a pair with the picture Boys' School, Inv. No. 1458.
In the Brokar collection these works were attributed to the French artist Chardin; in the Pushkin Museum the work was first thought to be that of an unknown German master of the 18th-century. N.V.Lazarev attributed it to Traversi. Many of the genre paintings by this artist were conceived and created as paired works, as illustrated by these Moscow canvases.