Roman master, early VIII century
Saint Joseph. Early VIII century

Fragment of a composition entitled The Nativity from the Oratory of John VII erected in 705-707 on the north-west side of the old St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. In 1609 the building was demolished in connection with the erection of the new St. Peter's Cathedral. The fragment in the Pushkin Museum appeared in the collection of Cardinal Benedetto Justiniani, who supervised the demolition of the old basilica.

Go to the full description on "Italian painting in VIII-XX centuries" catalogue.