Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot
автор
The Castle of Pierrefonds (Parole). Late 1850-s-1860-s

Paper, glued to wood, oil
47х38 cm
Государственная Третьяковская галерея (ГТГ)
Ж-958

Corot often visited the castle of Pierrefonds not far from the River Oise. This feudal stronghold, founded in the eleventh century, was placed in the care of the state in 1812 and restored by the celebrated architect and mediaevalist Violliet le Duc in the late 1850s and early 1860s.
The figures in the foreground, which are executed in a free, sketchy manner, are not juxtaposed to the landscape, but form an organic part of it. Their mediaeval dress makes it possible to classify this work as a history painting, a genre to which Corot rarely had recourse.

  • Paper, glued to wood, oil
    47х38 cm
  • Государственная Третьяковская галерея (ГТГ)
  • Ж-958
Show more

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot

1796–1875