This medium-sized terracotta figure was acquired by the Museums of Berlin from Dresden in 1869. This is a miniature model of Michelangelo Buonarroti's Madonna from the Medici Chapel (1521-1534; Sagrestia Nuova, Basilica of San Lorenzo, Florence). For his studies, Van der Schardt made several small-sized replicas of Michelangelo's sculptures. These works were acquired by Praun and are now kept in various museums (Night, Victoria and Albert Museum, London; Day, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas). The head of the Madonna figure has survived and is now in Berlin, being returned there from the Soviet Union in 1958.
Browse the item on the Department of Conservation website.
The item participates in the restoration project "Donatello and Other Renaissance Masters".