The Department of Manuscripts, established in 1945, is a scholarly department of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. As of January 1, 2010, it was storing over 66,000 pieces of predominantly private materials in more than 100 funds and collections. Most of the documents come from the 2nd half of the 19th century or the 20th century, while some documents date back to the 1770s-1820s. Both professional (made by famous masters and studios) and amateur photographs constitute an integral part of the collection. The earliest of these are from the 1860s.